Sisters of the Humility of Mary
In the spirit of humility, we commit ourselves to take action in solidarity with women, children, and people who are marginalized and disenfranchised, and to seek non-violence in all our relationships.
In a special way we pledge ourselves to connect with the people of Haiti. In order to do this we call upon ourselves to expand and deepen our knowledge and understanding of
- human rights abuses, the effects of global poverty, and the imbalance of power in our world,
- the effects of racism, classism, and ethnocentrism as they impact our relationships with the larger Earth community.
In the spirit of humility, we commit ourselves to honor the sanctity of all human persons and to reverence the giftedness of the people of Haiti, their culture, and struggles when we
- deepen our connections with the Haitian people through listening as they express their experiences and needs,
- reflect on their truth and pray to be open to both a personal and a global transformation.
In the spirit of humility, we commit ourselves to be informed in an attempt to understand the experiences of Haitians in the global context when we
- continue relationships with people in Haiti and in the United States in order to keep the lines of communication open about the ongoing and immediate needs in Haiti.
- foster partnerships based on mutual care and concern in order to seek ways to work towards a common cause with the Haitian community and advocates in the United States.
- advocate for human rights for and with the people of Haiti and for and with immigrants in the United States.
Approved by the Sisters of the Humility of Mary – 1991; revised: 2005